We all know that fruits and vegetables have health benefits, but you may not have really thought about the value that sweet onions add to your diet or the idea that a RealSweet® sweet onion a day…may actually help keep the doctor away! Sweet onions are high in vitamin C, B6, iron, folate, potassium and biotin. Here is a rundown of some of the health benefits and unusual ways that sweet onions can keep you healthy in 2017!
- Sweet onions have tremendous heart and cardiovascular benefits1. This includes the blood sugar regulation capabilities of chromium, which is found in onions and the ability to prevent blood clots and reduce the likelihood of a heart attack2. Eating raw onions (which we know you can only do with a true sweet onion) can even reduce bad cholesterol2.
- The fiber content of sweet onions has been shown to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers and aid in digestion1. Sweet onions can also help maintain healthy bacteria levels in your intestinal tract.
- Sweet onions contain high amounts of the antioxidant quercetin, which may help reduce the risk of many cancers.
- Consuming sweet onions can help increase bone density and reduce the chances of osteoporosis1.
- Vitamin C found in sweet onions can help boost the immune system, improving your overall health2.
- Sweet onions can even help with pesky insects. They can be used as an insect repellent when sliced and can relieve pain and burning associated with bee stings. Simply squeeze onion juice onto the sting3.
- Sweet onions can also help with oral health. Chewing raw onions for several minutes can help prevent tooth decay, gum disease and oral infections4.
- Rubbing half of an onion on your face each day can help eliminate blemishes without leaving scars of dealing with the side effects of acne medications3.
- A concoction known as onion tea can reduce the irritation and swelling in your throat that leads to annoying coughs and sore throats3.
- Several other “old wives tales” exist regarding other benefits of onions including their ability to stop a nosebleed3, help you sleep better3, cure warts5 and absorb bacteria associated with sicknesses…but who knows if they really work??? Try them out and let us know!!!
Who knew sweet onions could offer so many benefits. Not only are they a delicious addition to your favorite meals, but they can also be an effective home remedy!