If French Onion soup could be made into an amazing one-bite dish, this would be the one! These simple and delicious sweet onion tarts will definitely impress your guests.
This recipe was created for RealSweet by celebrity chef and Food Network’s Chopped champion Chef Shannen Tune of craftburgerfoodtruck.com.
Chef Tune's Sweet Onion Tarts
- 4 T butter
- 2 medium RealSweet sweet onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 T sherry wine
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T fresh chives, chopped
- 2 packages of mini fillo shells
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add chopped onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook onions for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add fresh thyme leaves.
- Cook yet another 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are deep golden brown and very caramelized.
- Add Sherry wine and continue to cook 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese, egg, and chives until well combined.
- Place fillo shells on rimmed baking sheet. Fill each shell with a scant tablespoon onion mixture.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes until shells are lightly golden and filling is lightly browned on top. Serve warm.